White teeth are one of those winning things which can leave a lasting impression on anybody that you meet. A great smile with gleaming white teeth can work in our favor in every aspect of life, professional or personal. On the other hand, if you have discolored teeth, it can lead to shaken confidence and a hesitant social life. If you want to add spark to your smile, you can consider teeth whitening sessions with your dentist. While it might not be one of those essential parts of your dental visit, it is surely a grooming experience that will bring results from the first session itself. If you are considering visiting a dentist in North York, you can certainly talk to your dentist about getting your teeth whitened. If you are new to this, listed below are some of the things that you can expect during a teeth whitening session.
- If you haven’t been to your dentist in a long time and you are hoping to get your teeth whitened, it might be a great idea to schedule a check-up with your dentist before you go in for that teeth whitening session, as your teeth and gums when need to be in a healthy condition for you to be able to receive teeth whitening.
- It is advised that you eat shortly before your teeth whitening session as you wouldn’t be able to take any food during the course of your whitening treatment. It is suggested that you eat at least 30 minutes before your session starts and make sure to floss and brush your teeth properly before coming in.
- If you are considering any kind of dental crowns or veneers, it might be a great idea to get them done before the whitening session if you are going for porcelain material. However, if you are getting the veneers to match your current teeth shade you might want to wait until you have done your whitening session so that the color can be matched properly and there is no visible mismatch.
Before you start your whitening session, you will receive a dental cleaning in which any kind of plaque or tartar stains is removed from your teeth. Once that is done and your teeth are more or less clean, your professionals will put gauze in your mouth to keep it dry. A protective barrier is applied to your teeth first, after which a whitening gel will be administered. Your dentist will also use retractors to help keep the sensitive areas of your mouth from coming into contact with the gel. A special kind of light is used on your teeth after that to activate the gel. This will provide faster and better results. The teeth whitening treatment is completely painless however you might feel a slight tingling or a sense of warmth from the light. After the procedure, your teeth will be rinsed, and you will be able to spot your new whiter smile.
- After your teeth cleaning session, you will be able to feel a bit of sensitivity in your teeth. However, this is one of those short-term effects which will eventually go away. To provide your teeth relief, you can use toothpaste specially designed for sensitive teeth.
- You have had your teeth properly cleaned, It’s obvious that you will want to protect them from further staining. However, your teeth might be susceptible to staining easily, especially right after it has been cleaned. So be careful about the food that you are taking for those first 48 hours after the treatment. Avoid anything which is colorful in general or acidic. It is best to stick to lighter-colored food.
- After the first 48 hours, you can go back to eating colorful food, however conscious of the food which is known to stain your teeth, whether that is coffee, wine, blueberries, etc. You can still enjoy that food that is known to stain your teeth whilst still protecting the teeth by simply using straws.
- To maintain your dazzling smile, you can continue using whitening toothpaste and a healthy oral hygiene routine. Brush your teeth twice a day, floss regularly, and use mouthwash. It is also advised that you visit your dentist regularly every 6 months.
The good thing is that teeth whitening is painless and not super invasive, but it is one of those things that brings maximum impact. You will instantly notice the charm it adds to your smile, and it will surely make you confident in all of your social interactions. Whether it is on the professional ground or in your inner social circle, you can be guaranteed that your smile will bring an added allure to your personality.