Teeth are one of the most important parts of the human body – they help us chew food, speak clearly, and show our smiles. But keeping them healthy requires more than just brushing and flossing at home. Regular visits to the dentist are crucial, but sometimes teeth need more than just a cleaning or a filling. That’s when you need to see a dental lab. Dental labs like Burbank Dental Lab are staffed by trained professionals who can fabricate custom dental appliances like crowns, bridges, and dentures. They can also make repairs to existing dental work. In some cases, dental labs may even be able to create brand new teeth.
So, What Do You Need For A Dental Lab?
Starting a dental lab business requires some specific supplies and equipment. In this part, we will discuss what exactly you need to get started. The first thing you need to do is get your dental license. You can find information on how to do this through the American Dental Association website. Once you have your license, you can start thinking about the dental supplies and equipment you will need for your business. Some of the essential supplies include:
1. A dental chair and operatory light: These two are some of the most important pieces of equipment in any dental lab. A dental chair is where patients sit while you work on their teeth, and a good operatory light will help you see what you’re doing. You’ll also need a delivery system to get the dental chair and light to your lab – this can be as simple as a wheeled cart or a small trailer.
2. A dental microscope: This is another essential equipment for any dental lab. A microscope helps you see the teeth more clearly, which is important for making accurate repairs or fabrications.
3. A computer and dental software: Most dental labs now use computer-aided design (CAD) and computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) to create dental appliances. This means you will need a computer and dental software in your lab. You’ll need to conduct research to get the software application that’s best for your company because there are numerous options available.
4. A furnace and materials for fabricating dental appliances: If you plan on fabricating dental appliances in your lab, you’ll need a furnace and the materials to make them. The type of furnace you’ll need depends on the dental appliance you’re making. For example, if you’re making porcelain crowns, you’ll need a porcelain furnace.
5. A kiln: A kiln is another type of furnace used in dental labs. Kilns are typically used to fire ceramic materials, which are then used to create dental crowns, bridges, and veneers.
6. A lathe: A lathe is a machine used to shape and polish dental appliances. Lathes come in both manual and automatic varieties.
7. A milling machine: A milling machine is used to create detailed designs for dental appliances. Milling machines can be either manual or automatic.
What Teeth Problems Can Make You Be Sent To A Dental Lab?
Many different teeth problems can require the help of a dental lab. Some of the most common include:
1. Crooked or misshapen teeth: If your teeth are crooked or misshapen, a dental lab can create custom-made veneers or crowns to improve their appearance.
2. Damaged teeth: A dental lab can create custom-made crowns or bridges to restore them if your teeth are damaged.
3. Missing teeth: If you have missing teeth, a dental lab can create custom-made dentures or implants to replace them.
4. Stained or discolored teeth: If your teeth are stained or discolored, a dental lab can create custom-made veneers or crowns to improve their appearance.
5. Wear and tear: Over time, teeth can become worn down from use. If this happens, a dental lab can create custom-made veneers or crowns to restore their appearance.
What Will You Need To Provide At The Lab?
The first thing you will require is the prescription, which will include all of the diagnostic information that the dentist has collected. Be sure to ask if any specific instructions go along with the prescription. Next, you will need to provide the dental lab with impressions of your teeth. These can be either physical impressions made by taking a mold of your teeth or digital impressions made using a special scanner.
Once the impressions have been made, you will need to choose the material you want your dental appliance to be made from. Many different materials are available, so be sure to ask the lab for their recommendations. Finally, you will need to provide the lab with any special instructions for your dental appliance. For example, if you are getting a crown made, you will need to specify the tooth color that you want the crown to match.
A dental lab is a vital part of the dental industry. Without dental labs, dentists would not be able to provide their patients with the high-quality care they need and deserve. If you think you may need the services of a dental lab, be sure to talk to your dentist. They will be able to help you determine if a dental lab is right for you.